Increasing fear of coronavirus resulted into nationwide lockdown. The activities of people were restricted including visiting the theatres to watch the favourite stars on big screen. But lockdown did not change the pleasure one receives from cinema.
Around 82 percent cinema visitors miss going to the theatres despite the availability of over-the-top (OTT) platforms that allow complete flexibility in addition to a wide range of content. A study conducted showed the following results:
– The percentage of people unwilling to visit theatres for the next six months is only a single digit.
– More than 25 percent say that they will rush as soon as the place is opened.
– Nearly 50 percent say that they will be ready within two to three weeks only if necessary physical distancing and disinfecting steps are taken by the staff.
– 6-7 percent only trust their local single screen cinemas for proper safety measures.
– About 50 percent say they will reduce their food and beverage consumption at the theatres.
– 70 percent people are okay with the rate of tickets be more or less same and wish that necessary amount it is diverted and used for sanitisation.
In addition to this, more than 80 percent of the targeted audience believes that it Over-the-top platforms are convenient but cannot replace the theatres.
Even though the statistics evidently describe people’s love for the multiplex, many directors and producers are choosing OTT believing that its usage has increased due to this pandemic.
Which one are you- A cinema goer or an OTT viewer? Let us know your preferred choice in the comments below!